I recently got my hands on a FLIR One thermal camera, and I’d been dying for the opportunity to put it to use. I also recently received the first batch of RUMBA+ boards for testing, and I realised this was the perfect opportunity to test both.
I’ve been working on an encoder-driven system for error correction for a few months now. Ideally, the end-game would be complete closed-loop control over each axis. This would allow smaller motors (perhaps not even stepper motors), higher accelerations, and the ability to overcome most skipped-step related issues.
I posted a video last month, and after a much-appreciated post by Hackaday there was quite a bit of interest – so this is a follow-up post about the project.
I’ve been playing around with magnetic encoders a lot lately in the hopes of getting some sort of error-detection system up and running. I think I’ve finally made some headway on it.
Previously I discussed my intentions to smart-ify my doorbell – I want to know if I’ve missed a delivery while I’m out, and this seemed like a good way to go about it.
Today I wanted to take something apart, and the people that made it clearly disagreed. The screws holding the thing – a doorbell receiver – together were a type of security screw I hadn’t run into before.
In Part 1 I talked about the programming arrangement that I used for the first batch of Z probe boards. After flashing that batch of boards, I got to work on a slightly more automated solution.
One of the more interesting components in the Mark2 3D Printer is the Z probe, an IR probe designed to precisely measure the height of the bed for automatic bed-levelling.
This is the first product that I’ve been shipping that I’ve needed to program and test, and I’ve had some fun along the way trying to make the process faster.
The mains input sockets for the Mark2 printers arrived today – I had some fun wiring them up, and I think they’re going to be included in the printers going forwards.
I’m almost at the point where I need to lock the design down and start kitting things for the December launch – a pretty daunting prospect, I must say.
Before I finalise things, there’s one last idea for an improvement that I’ve been thinking about for a while – and it has to do with power input.