I recently got my hands on a FLIR One thermal camera, and I’d been dying for the opportunity to put it to use. I also recently received the first batch of RUMBA+ boards for testing, and I realised this was the perfect opportunity to test both.
I’ve been playing around with magnetic encoders a lot lately in the hopes of getting some sort of error-detection system up and running. I think I’ve finally made some headway on it.
In Part 1 I talked about the programming arrangement that I used for the first batch of Z probe boards. After flashing that batch of boards, I got to work on a slightly more automated solution.
One of the more interesting components in the Mark2 3D Printer is the Z probe, an IR probe designed to precisely measure the height of the bed for automatic bed-levelling.
This is the first product that I’ve been shipping that I’ve needed to program and test, and I’ve had some fun along the way trying to make the process faster.
The mains input sockets for the Mark2 printers arrived today – I had some fun wiring them up, and I think they’re going to be included in the printers going forwards.
One of the problems I’ve encountered in the past when using RAMPS electronics to control a dual-extruder printer is the lack of sufficient fan support. Dual extruder setups can require a few fans, usually one controlled fan (for cooling the print) and one or two always-on fans for cooling the hotends. Adding a second hotend takes up the 12V MOSFET usually used for running a controlled fan, leaving no option but to solder directly to the 12V lines on the board – which removes any control over these fans.
If your printer has an always-on power supply (like a regular LED-style power supply as found on most printers) then these fans are going to be running 24-7 unless you manually switch off the power. I had to deal with this for a few days while testing the MK2 printer, and I decided to play around with the problem and see what solutions there are.
Testing out the integrated spool holder today – let’s see how well this thing works!
I thought I’d take the time today to talk about a few of the things I’m doing during development of the MK2 printer to address a few problems in the MK1, and how I’m trying to keep the design as flexible as possible.
I’ve been selling Prusa Mendel i3 kits on Aus3D for a while now. The kits I’ve been selling so far (which I’ll refer to as MK1 kits from here onwards), are fairly decent kits. I didn’t design them, they were designed and manufactured in China – I’ve been buying them in and making a few improvements before shipping them as the Aus3D Prusa Mendel i3 kit. I ended up reverse-engineering CAD files for the frame so I could print / cut replacement parts locally, and I’ve had these files available on GitHub for a while now.
As a business strategy, this approach makes sense. China is good at making stuff, and these kits work pretty well – better than most other Chinese printer kits I’ve tried. As someone trying to run a business, I’ve been happy to attach my business’s name to them.
As an engineer, I know we can be shipping a much better kit.